Turin (Italian: Torino) is a city and an important business and cultural centre in northern Italy. It is the capital city of the Metropolitan City of Turin (an administrative division of Italy) and of the Piedmont region, and was the first capital city of Italy from 1861 to 1865. The city is located mainly on the western bank of the Po River and is surrounded by the western Alpine arch and Superga Hill.

The city has a rich culture and history, being known for its numerous art galleries, restaurants, churches, palaces, opera houses, piazzas, parks, gardens, theatres, libraries, museums and other venues. Turin is well known for its Renaissance, Baroque, Rococo, Neo-classical, and Art Nouveau architecture. Many of Turin’s public squares, castles, gardens and elegant palazzi such as the Palazzo Madama, were built between the 16th and 18th centuries. A part of the historical center of Turin was inscribed in the World Heritage List under the name Residences of the Royal House of Savoy.

The city is home to museums such as the Museo Egizio and the Mole Antonelliana. Turin’s attractions make it one of the world’s top 250 tourist destinations and the tenth most visited city in Italy in 2008.

Turin is well known as the home of the Shroud of Turin, the football teams Juventus F.C. and Torino F.C., the headquarters of automobile manufacturers FIAT, Lancia and Alfa Romeo, and as host of the 2006 Winter Olympics.

For more information visit the official touristic web site of Turin.


What to see in Turin

MOLE ANTONELLIANA AND MUSEUM OF CINEMA

Symbol of the city of Turin, the Mole Antonelliana is a unique building, 167 meters high,  with a square base surmounted by the famous dome and spire. You can reach the “Tempietto”  – little temple (85 m. high)  through a lift made of glass inside the Mole. From the tempietto  you can admire a truly amazing view of Turin. The Antonelli’s building is currently home of the National Museum of Cinema that offers to visitors a journey through the history of cinema.


PIAZZA CASTELLO

The square is the real fulcrum of Turin: this has always been the central point this city, from the Roman age to Renaissance.
In Piazza Castello there are Palazzo Reale, the royal residence of the Savoia dinasty, Palazzo Madama site of the first Italian senate and the Royal Church of San Lorenzo.


PIAZZA SAN CARLO

Piazza San Carlo preserves the seventeenth-century appearance of harmonious uniformity. At the center stands the equestrian monument of Emanule Filiberto, one of the most significant statues of the early nineteenth century (El Caval d’brons). The short side of the square to the south-west is bordered by the almost twin facades of the churches of Santa Cristina and San Carlo.


CATHEDRAL AND CHAPEL OF THE HOLY SHROUD

Cathedral of Saint John Baptist, the heart of the Arcidioces of Turin is famous in the world for the Holy Shroud that here has been guarantedd for four centuries. It is possible to visit the Cathedral and the Chapel of the Holy Shroud.
The public ostension of the Holy Shroud is done in specific period, the last one has been during August 2018 has preparation of the synod of young people.


EGYPTIAN MUSEUM

The one in Turin is the oldest Egyptian museum in the world and is the most important after Cairo. It collected over 8,000 finds among statues, mummies, sarcophagi, papyrus, jewelry and amulets. The recent renovation has made the museum even more visitor-friendly. Admission tickets are snapped up, this is one of the most visited sites in Italy. On the other hand, its 300,000 finds (some kept in the warehouse of the structure) deserve to be discovered and admired. Booking a guided tour will allow you to avoid the long lines at the entrance and deepen the history of an ancient and fascinating civilization.


VIA PO AND PIAZZA VITTORIO VENETO

Piazza Vittorio Veneto is the largest square in Turin, located in the historic center of the city and is located at the end of via Po, near the river Po, and ends with the bridge Vittorio Emanuele I, which connects to the square of the Church of the Great Mother of God and with the district of Borgo Po.

From the square it his possible to have a special view on the river and the hills where can be recognized the Basilica of Superga and Monte dei Cappuccini.

The square is notoriously a meeting place and youth gathering, there are many places that overlook directly, very popular especially during the weekend nights.


CARIGNANO PALACE

Palazzo Carignano was built by the will of Emanuele Filiberto di Savoia-Carignano in 1679. It is one of the most evocative and impressive palaces of the seventeenth century Italian, with sinuous facade and simple brick cladding, precious and originally worked.

Today the palace hosts two different museums.
On the ground floor, the Apartments of the Princes of Carignano: the Mezzogiorno apartment with its marvelous golden boiseries is permanently open, while the visit of the Mezzanotte apartment and its salons is occasionally offered to the public.
On the main floor is the National Museum of the Italian Risorgimento.


MEDIEVAL VILLAGE

The Medieval Village of Turin is an open-air museum located along the banks of the Po river, in the Valentino Park in Turin. Entering, through the drawbridge, means traveling in time and space, leaving the city of the twenty-first century to find a moment of serenity between arcades, fountains, artisan shops, gardens and a castle that looks at you from its imposing size . The visit of the Medieval Village can be divided into two parts: the first, with free access, affects the lower part of the village, almost at the river level, while the second, with a paid ticket, leads to the castle and the garden. The visit to the Rocca lasts about 45 minutes and is always accompanied by museum staff who can provide the necessary explanations for the knowledge and interpretation of the castle, its rooms and the garden.


VIA GARIBALDI AND PIAZZA STATUTO

Via Garibaldi is a pedestrian street, one of the main ones in the historic center of Turin, connecting Piazza Castello with Piazza Statuto and is one of the oldest city streets.

Piazza Statuto was the last of Turin’s grandes places. It was built by Giuseppe Bollati between 1864 and 1865, in 1879 it became the scenic backdrop of the monument to the Frejus tunnel.