For more than 150 years, the Politecnico di Torino has been one of the most prestigious public institutions at both the International and the Italian levels concerning education, research, technological transfer and services in all sectors of architecture and engineering.
The Politecnico di Torino was founded in 1859 as Scuola di Applicazione per gli Ingegneri (Technical School for Engineers), and it became Regio Politecnico di Torino in 1906. A long history, which bore out the University as a reference point for education and research in Italy and in Europe, a Research University of international level which attracts students from more than 100 countries and which activates about 800 collaborations per year with industries, public institutions and local organizations.
In the green heart of the nineteenth-century park of Turin, Valentino Castle has known different uses over the centuries before becoming the seat of the Faculty of Architecture of Politecnico di Torino.
The history of this castle is very old and is intertwined, like many other important buildings in Turin, with the vicissitudes of the royal family of Savoy.
With Maria Cristina di Borbone, wife of Vittorio Amedeo di Savoia, he commissioned the works of the Castello del Valentino to Carlo and Amedeo di Castellamonte, giving a French imprint to the construction and making the dwelling know the period of its maximum splendor.
Maria Cristina di Borbone, lived in the palace since 1630 bringing it to the center of the aristocratic life of the time. At his death the palace was abandoned until 1800 when it was modified to be better inserted in the urban landscape of the city and participate in the National Exhibition of 1858. After the exhibition was abandoned again until it became the seat of Turin’s engineering faculty in 1860.
The Castle still preserves many frescoes from the 1600s. Even the 17th century furnishings have been lost, taken away by Napoleon’s soldiers in the 19th century.
Since 1997, the Valentino Castle has become part of the UNESCO World Heritage Site.